Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Aitch Aaarrrggghhh (HR) !!




As most of you know I had put in my papers around last Valentine's day. As soon as I put my papers, my boss and my superboss convinced me to seek help from the HR ! They said they wanted to retain me post-MBA also and that I must talk to the HR to see if something can be worked out. Sounded good to me. I love my company and I know there are ample opportunities availabe within the company. 

The salary would definitely be lower than what I woud probaby get post-ISB but I for one have always cared for the quality of work rather than the pay attached to it. So I put a one-line email to the madam in the HR dept saying that I wanted to speak to her regarding my resignation. She replied the next day with her number and told me to call her up. I called her and explained the situation. She seemed very understanding and told me that she'll check my profile, job rating & my bosses's opinion before consulting with her boss and coming back to me with an offer. So far so good !

In the next couple days the HR madam informed me that they more than want to have me back at my company. I would get a position and pay commensurate with my potential and academic qualification. This sounded really good ! 

When I decided to get deep into all this, HR madam put me to her boss. Our conversation as follows:

HR Boss: Ask me what you want to ask. (Inside His Head(IIH) - Whatever it is better be good. My Kaafi is here)
Me: Sir, I have gotten into ISB. When I put in my papers my super boss put me onto HR madam. This is to work out for me something post-MBA that I can be part of the company. (Inside my head (IMH) - I am gonna be a MBA dude. You better have something nice to tell me)

HR Boss: What do you want to know? (IIH: Hurry up ! My Kaafi is getting cold !)
Me: I want to know details. (IMH: Duh? Are you even listening)

HR Boss: You have to go on a unpaid leave for a year. You will be coming back to same pay, same position & same location. Then we'll see your performance over a period of time and take a call if we want to promote you. (IIH: Yeah ! Take that you sucker for ruining my Kaafi!)
Me: What period of time are we talking of here? (IMH: It better not be more than 48 hours if you want me retain my sanity)

HR Boss: Cannot commit that to you. Can be anything. 1 year, 2 years or longer. It all depends on your performance. (IIH: Longer as in till your retirement you sorry piece of shit)
Me: Ok. But doesnt my higher academic degree mean anything? (IMH: Dude ! Am I stupid in putting 20 lakhs to come back to the same thing?)

HR Boss: No. It means nothing. You would not have contributed anything to the company when you are away. How can we justify your promotion? (IIH: Hahaha ! Now I have you on the ropes ! If qualification meant anything I would today be a peon drawing a annual 3-digit salary)
Me: Ok. (IMH: *Blank*)

HR Boss: Anything else you want to know? (IIH: Come on you smug! Now that my coffee is ruined I can do this all day !)
Me: No sir. I think I am done. Thank you for your time. (IMH: I give up. You win. Thanks a ton. You saved me from Harakiri, you moron !)

All this was a very disappointing experience. I have had good experiences with the HR before but this one surely spoiled everything. 

But at this point I realized that coming back to the same company would have disastrous. I mean what new would have I learned. I think I need the experience of extremely good companies to be able to come back to my company and straighten up the mess. Hopefully one day I can !

2 comments:

Ritu said...

:) yeh toh hona hi tha!

Um viajante said...

Haha. Reminds me of my current interactions with my co's HRs for a sabbatical. The saga still continues so dunno whether it'll be a comedy or a tragedy yet. By the way, you have had good experiences with HRs before!! You kidding me? Good and HR on the same sentence?