Friday, April 10, 2009

Final Mumbai Binge !



On 20th Feb, exactly 3 months after Nov 20 (the day that I got into ISB) I was relieved on close of working hours from Ashok Leyland. The feeling was strange as this was my first job. I had never resigned before. I got a small send off from my department colleagues with a lunch at a expensive Chinese joint. My farewell couldnt happen on 20th as my Boss and colleagues got caught with more than just a few things outside office. But my boss called me and requested me to come the next day morning because they all wanted to give me a proper farewell. The feeling was overwhelming considering my company is not too good on farewells to those who seek separation.

I hung in a bit late that day in office to just soak in the feeling. My ex-roommate-cum-buddy Anirudh aka Nandu and my junior Anand aka Raju too hung in with me. My ISB treat was due and they wanted one from me tonight. Although I am a teetotaller, I decided to throw a booze party for them. I was also expecting one other close budddy of mine Puneet aka Fudhi who too was in the city for his NITIE interview.

Since Fudhi was unreachable, Nandu, Raju & me went straight from Office to a place called Green in Shivaji Park after consulting my ISB buddy Ashwin. We had just finished the first round of drinks when Fudhi called. We decided that we would all meet up at the Airport and then hit a booze joint from there. At the airport our cab was stopped by the security who suspected us of being terrorists. I realize that I terrorize people in the virtual world but I got perfectly innocent looks to camouflage that in Real life. So we got off and met Fudhi.

None of us had any idea of where to go to so I decided to call my other ISB buddy no. 2 Shishir aka Restless. Voila ! He was at a booze joint too along with his cousin and Shouvik (ISB buddy no. 3). So we all met up at Spirit, had booze (not me .. I had Nimbu Paani) and talked about a wide range of topics including Ragging. Fudhi had a flight to catch at 12.45am so we dropped him off to a rickshaw at 12.15 which ferried him to the airport. We hung on for some more time and left only when the Spirit bouncers threw us out at Shutter downing time.

As usual Restless was not done. He wanted to hop onto another bar and continue boozing but we managed to convince him on Juhu beach. Restless, Nandu & me hopped onto a Ric while Shouvik & Raju climbed the bike. On the way from "Spirit" to Juhu beach Restless was at his Atychari best. He let the booze do all the talking and totally the Autowala's brain off. To diversify he stopped the auto midway and chewed off a Cigarette seller's brain with philosophy and bullshit. Though I am a extremely patient man, Restless was now beginning to get on my nerves. I wanted to get out of the auto and hit him on the head with the Cigarette wala's thaila and then stuff his nose with three stubs of Goldflake light. But somehow he rode on his luck, spared the Ciggi-wala and hopped onto the Rick and we managed to reach Juhu beach.

Instead of simply paying the Auto fellow, Restless decided to give him some gyan of Dil n other unrelated Durachar. I was now looking for a sharp instrument to castrate him and donate his balls for research on crushed Testicles. His luck again intervened. The Police jeep came there and asked what we were doing. Restless was quick to say "Sir, hum dil ki baat kar rahe hain" and I was thinking to myself "Main toh iske T**te fodne ke baare mein soch raha hoon". The Police sensed that we were nothing but drunk meddling kids so asked us to get onto the auto and Scram. Restless wouldnt still budge. Only the sight of the Pandu charging with his stick did Shishir change his mind and hop onto the Auto.

Well Mumbai police is smarter than the average police force. Just to make sure we didnt come back they followed us (read chased us) but Restless did it again by stopping the Auto midway much to my displeasure. Now I had lost it and gave him a piece of my mind. Before I could separate him from his nipples the Police van zeroed in on us again. We scrammed before they go to us. We went a long way and took a U-tuen. Dropped the auto and hid in a corner where we met Shouvik & Raju. Then we walked to the beach where we were once again warned by another set of policemen again. In the meanwhile Restless endlessly apologised to me. I told him that I was cool but it was time to call off the night. After some customary snaps we split.

Raju, Nandu & me took an auto. Raju was gonna crash for the night at Nandu's place. They reached their house soon after. Nandu's wife was asleep. Nandu had the freaking wind knocked out of his sails when he saw that the time was 4am. He had told his wife he would be late but 4am was way too late. Poor thing must have waited for him very long before she fell asleep. So Nandu knew that he was gonna be in for a loooonnnnggggg day in the morning. So much for a night out !

But the night was fun ! Extremely crazy in parts and extremely funny in others !

No comments: